Get to know your site
Describe your site
Where to go for more information
It's often helpful to further arm yourself with relevant information. The following references will get you off to a good start:
- Carrow, Robert N., and Ron R. Duncan. 1998. Salt-Affected Turfgrass Sites: Assessment and Management. Ann Arbor Press.
- Costello, Lawrence R., Edward J. Perry, Nelda P. Matheny, J. Michael Henry, and Pamela M. Geisel. 2003. Abiotic Disorders of Landscape Plants: A Diagnostic Guide. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Publication 3420.
- Harris, Richard W., James R. Clark, and Nelda P. Matheny. 2004. Arboriculture: Integrated Management of Landscape Trees, Shrubs, and Vines, Fourth Edition. Prentice Hall publishing company.
- Keefer, Robert F. Handbook of Soils for Landscape Architects. 2000. Oxford University Press.
Articles, reports, chapters in books
- U. S. Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service (USDA–NRCS). August 1999. Soil Quality Test Kit Guide. Available on the Web at http://soils.usda.gov/sqi/assessment/test_kit.html
- Soils, Chapter 2 in Turf & Landscape Digest, 2004, published by Grounds Maintenance magazine. Available on the Web at http://www.grounds-mag.com/turf/digest
- James, E. 1995. Testing and interpretation of salinity and pH. Department of Primary Industries, State of Victoria, Australia, Publication AG0244, (Agricultural Notes, March 1995), avail. online at http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/DPI/nreninf.nsf/childdocs/-2BAF4D73531CD1544A2568B3000505AF?open
- Singer, Deborah, and Tania Midgley. 2005. How salinity is measured. New South Wales Department of Primary Industries, 19 April 2005, available online at http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/reader/wm-plants-waterquality
- Salinity Notes: Soil salinity. New South Wales, Australia, Department of Primary Industries. Available online at http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/reader/salinity
- Kerkhoff, Karen L., and Doug Melchior. 2006. How To: Test Irrigation Water Quality. Grounds Maintenance magazine online, July 1, 2006; available at http://grounds-mag.com
- Chapters IV, VI, and IX of the literature review document that accompanies this Salt Management Guide (located elsewhere on this same CD-ROM)
- Soil and Plant Laboratory, Inc. Undated. Irrigation water sample report, available online at http://www.soilandplantlaboratory.com
- Testing water for gardening and lawn irrigation. January 2007. Published by Wellcare, a program of the Water Systems Council. Available online at http://www.watersystemscouncil.org/wellcare/infosheets.cfm